Monday, February 13, 2012

180 jars

The boys are a little behind in their skills when it comes to eating. They have issues with thicker food and food with texture or small bits. They gag on it to the point of actually throwing up. It makes finding baby food a bit of a challenge. For their age they should be eating more table food, but they choke and gag and puke, which is stressful for them and me. So I have been on a mission to find food that is not so thick and textured that they have trouble with it (but still helps get them some texture to get them headed in the right direction) and food that is still healthy without all the extra added crap, yet still affordable. Baby food is expensive! Especially if you prefer organic, which I do. But I have noticed that just because it is organic doesn't mean that it doesn't have fillers and crap in it, it just means it is organic fillers and organic crap. I'm sorry, but crap is still crap, even if it is organic. Baby food should be pure and simple. Babies do not need heavy cream, butter, oil, and all the other stuff that I can't pronounce.

So I decided to make food for the boys. I did this with The Girlchick, but on a much smaller scale. Plus I had a lot more extra time back then. It has taken me two days of cooking, mixing and storing, but I did it. Nathan and I estimate that it ends up being roughly the equivalent of 180 jars of baby food. That's a lot of food. It is all 100% organic, no fuss no muss pure and simple. And I hope that it comes out cheaper (as of right now I haven't done the math to check if it is cheaper). I hadn't planned on it taking so long, but it takes me twice as long to cook, or do anything for that matter, with the boys around. They can't really entertain themselves, and they ALWAYS are wanting my attention in some shape or form. Geesh who do they think they are??? Babies or something? :) so it took a lot longer but I made a bunch of food. They tried a little bit today and it wasn't a huge hit. We had some gagging, but I'm hoping they will get used to it. I am determined that they will eat all of this food and it won't go to waste. As Nathan's grandmother is fond of saying..... You will eat salad! The boys WILL eat this baby food. I'll post some of the recipes later and keep you posted on the progress.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Add a comment!