Monday, May 27, 2013

Memorial Day

My Dad passed away March 7, 2012.  He was buried at Houston National Cemetery in Houston.  I have not been back to his grave since the day we buried him.  I even told my brother that I might never go.  It's not something I like to do, I don't like to be sad and dwell on it.  It's a personal choice.  This memorial day I decided that I might want to go visit his grave and to put a flag on it and some flowers and a yellow ribbon.  This year was the first year that the Houston cemetery was putting all the flags on the graves and having a big ceremony.  It was a little nuts with all the people and really darn hot!  But we made it.  The Girlchick was really excited to go and put flowers on his grave and the flag and the ribbon.  She was full of questions.  Like why the yellow roses and not other pretty flowers.  I told her it was because the first time I came to Houston to visit my dad when I was close to her age, my dad gave me a yellow rose as I was leaving to go back home.  Why  the flags?  It's a symbol of our freedom as a country and a reminder of the service that our military men and women do for our country.  It's a day to honor the ones that we have lost.  So this year this was our honor.



We also had tickets to the baseball game that afternoon.  We had planned to try and take the whole family, but the boys were really really tired, so we decided to keep them home so they could take a nap (which they didn't do) and The Girlchick and her dad went to the game.  They had a great time.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Add a comment!