Saturday, January 19, 2013

More tubes

When we were at the doctor's office the last time (More Sickies), she suggested that I go back to the ENT to have the boys tubes put back in.  We made the appointment and the ENT informed us that Thing 2 did not have just one tube out, but both tubes out!  Great! Thing 1 only had one tube out, but the one that was out - there was still a hole in the drum which is a little unusual.  Hopefully it isn't a sign that he is going to be part of the 5% of kids whose holes don't close on their own from ear tubes.  He also told us that this time he wants to remove their adenoids.  They were too young last time.  He also informed us that Thing 2 had an active ear infection and gave us a prescription for antibiotics.  Great again - more antibiotics.  I thought it was bad for The Girlchick when she was younger, but these boys - they just can't ever get rid of the runny nose, cough and congestion.  I didn't start Thing 2 on the antibiotics since he said to wait to see if he started to run a fever, and at the time he wasn't.

Fast forward 4 days - a week before we are to have the tubes put back in Thing 2 has to come home from school with a fever, and a day later it is Thing 1.  We are back on antibiotics and hopefully it will help to get the tubes back in and the adenoids out.  I really have high hopes, but not high expectations if that makes sense?  I really really really just want to keep them off of all the medication.  I am so torn about pulling them out of daycare.  I think they really enjoy it and I like the socialization that they get.  Plus the school really helped me out a lot when Grandma had to leave and go to California to take care of great grandma when she had to have her hip replacement redone.  I had no idea what I was going to do with them when she had to suddenly leave within 4 days.  But at the same time something there - either just the yucks that make them sick all the time, or they are allergic to something at the school - is something that keeps making them sick.  So what to do?  What are the other options?  Leave the school that I really love and has gone out of the way to help me twice now with the boys?  Or find in home care, where they will not get the same learning, socialization and play time.  What to do, what to do?  Does someone have a magic wand they can lend me?




No comments:

Post a Comment

Add a comment!